Sunday, November 9, 2008

TC: New Hockey Fans

A few weeks ago before the Redskins game I met Nicklas Backstrom, Alex Ovechkin, and Mike Green down on the field. I will not lie and say I am a huge hockey fan cause I'm not. I have never been to or even watched a game. So for me, meeting these three was like meeting some regular guys excited for a football game. But after attending the Caps game last night, regular would be the understatement of a lifetime. I am not kidding when I tell you that what these guys do on the ice is nothing short of amazing. I mean I can remember when I was in middle school playing field hockey. It was hard for me to score a goal then...on an inexperienced 13 year old goalie. And last night, the Caps scored three goals. The most exciting came with 5 seconds left. It was an open netter that traveled the entire length of the ice.

Now the goals were great and all but the best thing about the whole night didn't happen to be the scoring nor was it a fight (there were close calls but no real ones). It was however, the blocked penalty shot in the third period that would have tied the game with about ten minutes left. Backup goalie Brent Johnson bitch slapped the puck away from Rangers captain Chris Drury before he could even think about taking the shot. It was amazing.

“I just came out and challenged him as much as I could,” Johnson said. “He was close enough that when he tried to go to the backhand, I was able to get my stick on it.”
So with that said, the Capitals officially have two new fans. And if you're not a fan I challenge you to get out to a game...you'll be hooked. It is unreal! So thanks to Comcast Sportsnet for getting us out. We loved it.

Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment