Saturday, July 19, 2008

First day is in the books

Training camp has finally begun. The Washington Redskins first reporting team meeting was today at 4:00. I counted down the hours of freedom, but it really is here. I have to admit its tough coming back. We move into the National Conference Center in Leesburg, VA. every year around this time and I have to say I could smell the place on my drive over. I checked into the same room as I have for the last five years which seems crazy to me. I can call 4218 home for the next four weeks.

As in the first day of anything we started off with pretty much an orientation meeting. NFL security says the same stuff every year. Drinking and driving is stupid, don't let crazy people into your home, and for God sakes don't let anyone talk you into throwing a football game. We moved into a bit about keeping hydrated. No shit you better keep drinking water cause it's a pretty good bet that it's gonna be hot as hell out there. Alternating Gatorade and water is supposed to be the way to go, but I'm gonna try the old school Coke method for the first couple days.

A couple funny notes from our training staff. A player cannot call in sick to work; they will actually have someone come pick you up from your room and take you to the hospital. Also it's a hundred dollar fine for a player who does not record his weight before and after every practice. The player is responsible for weighing and recording them on a little chart. I'm complacent so I'm sure I'll be in debt a few hundred to the Skins...whatever.

We have a bed check every night at 11:00 P.M. Coaches will be roaming the halls and checking everyone's room. Yes, we are all fifteen years old so I guess that is important. I mean, I'll check into the locker room around 6:00 A.M. so it's gonna be pretty hard to go out at night. Bed check?

We broke from our little orientation meeting for a 40 minute dinner. Food is usually pretty good here, but by the end of the month everything will start tasting the same. At least it was good tonight. I decided that I love "Franks Hot Sauce," I covered my entire meal in it, even carrots.

Dinner ended and we we got back at it. More meeting at 6:20 till around 9:20. We got into the playbook for the first time and everything was pretty much stuff we've been running during the off season so we should be pretty damn good at it by now! I ended up with over 5 pages of notes, some obviously more football intense than others, but all in all I thought it was a pretty good meeting.

Quotable from the meeting was Joe Bugle, "Weak right 40 gut. Yum! Yum!
How bout that one baby!" This came during our run game installation and obviously it's his favorite play.

Last meeting of the night ended in the tight end room. Attitude, concentration, and effort are the words for camp in our position group. Seems easy enough, at least for now!

So anyway, I'm back in the room, sitting here waiting for a knock. I just hope it's not too hot tomorrow. Yea right!

Facebook Comments


Post a Comment