Saturday, October 1, 2011

We Rally for Hope


We have all been touched by cancer in some way ... and we all have the power to make a difference. That's why I have chosen to fight back right here in my own community. The 3rd Annual Cooley’s for the Cure will be held on Monday, October 10. The event will be at Clyde’s in Ashburn. This year proceeds will go to two different organizations:

The IIIb’s - This is a local organization that does amazing things to support women going through cancer treatments.

The Virginia Hospital Center – Reinsch Pierce Family Center for Breast Health. (The video on this website says it all – Tanner and I are guests at the press conference) Amazing, amazing place. They are responsible for saving my life.

Over the past three years, my motto has become “Hope!” We all need to have hope. Live life to the fullest and take advantage of every day. I feel fortunate that I always felt like I had hope. Everyone should be able to have hope.

I hope that you will be able to join me and my family and friends for this wonderful, fun event. Last year it was such a huge success! We had guests including Colt Brennen, Mike Sellers, Reed Doughty, Danny Smith, and more. It’s a great time to hang out, get autographs, purchase items, and win drawings. If you can’t join us, but would still like to donate, just click on the donate link.

Thank you in advance for your support. Together, we will celebrate, remember, and fight back. Nancy Cooley – Cancer Survivor – three years!

This is my story: This year, hundreds of thousands of people will hear the words "You have cancer". On May 16, 2008, I was one of them. On a Friday while driving to work, I received a call from my doctor telling me that I had breast cancer. It was one week before Chris and Christy’s wedding. I had many relatives coming to town that weekend and the next week. Instead of being able to focus on seeing everyone and celebrating Chris and Christy’s wedding, the only thoughts in my head were “I have cancer”. Starting on Monday of the wedding week, my days were as follows: Monday – meeting a breast surgeon and being told that my cancer was Stage 3. Tuesday – meeting a plastic surgeon describing how he could rebuild my body after having the surgery that I would need. Wednesday – having an MRI and PET scan. Thursday – meeting an oncologist telling me about the chemotherapy that I would need to undergo. Friday – the wedding. On Tuesday of the next week, I had an ECHO, heart check, to see if I was strong enough to tolerate the chemotherapy. On Wednesday – I had a small surgery and had a port inserted into my chest for the chemotherapy. On Thursday – I had chemotherapy counseling. On Friday, I had my first chemotherapy treatment, beginning the long process in my journey to treat and beat the evil, fast growing cancer.

My doctors are truly angels! Miracle workers I call them. I want to thank them for the work that they do. They are Dr. Stephanie Akbari, Dr. Steven Davison, Dr. Mary Wilkinson, Dr. Jeffery Moulds, and Dr. Keith Belote. I couldn’t have asked for a more caring team of physicians to help me fight this horrible disease.

I also want to thank my amazing niece, Brooke Brandt, who you all know as the infamous “Beandip”. She gave up four months of her life to take care of me during the chemo and to nurse me back to health after the surgery. She never left my side during this time. She is also an angel on earth!

My good friend, Martha Belote, is also an angel here. She has been with me since day one. Taking me to doctor appointments, sitting at the hospital for hours while I had surgery – up to six now (over 30 hours), taking me to chemo and radiation treatments, covering me at work, but most importantly always being there with good wine and great food.

Thank you to my sons, Chris and Tanner, who are my whole life and the reason that I have the strength to fight this disease. I am so proud of both of them. They are outstanding young men. I want to be around to see my grandchildren and to be a part of their lives. There are many more family, friends, and students that have helped me to have the strength and courage to make it through each day. Thanks to all of you!

I went through four months of chemotherapy, surgeries – six now, and 28 radiation treatments over the past three years. Reconstruction has been ongoing to try to rebuild my broken body. I know that these treatments would not be available without the help of the money raised for research of this horrible disease.

During the past three years, I have met many women who are battling cancer – Kathy, Noel, Regina, Karin, Della, and Kim. These are six women who reached out to me after learning that they had breast cancer. They are all mothers, daughters, sisters, and wives. I’m so grateful that they too have successfully battled cancer so far. There are so many more people, not just women that are battling cancer. We need an end to this madness!!



On Monday, October 10th at Clyde's in Ashburn we are hosting the 3rd annual Cooley's for the Cure event. Even though the last two years were a great time and big success, Events in the City is helping this year, so plan on it being the best yet.

Tickets are $65 dollars and that covers your food, beer, wine, and soft drinks. Doors open at 7 and the event ends at 10. We should have a few players hanging out and some big auction items for purchase. Please use the paypal button to purchase your ticket. After you buy your ticket, print off your receipt and bring it with you to the event. You will get a wrist band at the door. You can purchase your ticket or donate using the buttons below. Thanks for your support!!

Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment