Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Christmas Decorations

I'm learning how big of a deal decorating for Christmas really is. It's no, lets throw the tree and lights up real quick and move on with life. To do any kind of job it's, lets spend at least a day and go to Target and go to Costco and pick out all kinds of fun new stuff, then go home and work our asses off putting up all the shit we just bought. Getting into the Christmas spirit in the Cooley household this year first involved a number of purchases. My first ever plastic tree, as well as a smaller version of said plastic tree, 50 feet of lighted garland, 800 extra outdoor lights, a wooden Santa Claus train, 10 different candles and multiple ornaments. Thankfully I passed on the triple set of lighted snowmen.

Get past spending the money and the store is the easy part. The first thing we did when we got home was put together the trees. Should have been easy, but before I knew it I was laying on my back with the tree falling on me. Those plastic trees are really heavier than expected and it was no surprise to either Christy or I that something was going wrong. After the tree was erect came the highlight of my day. When you buy a plastic tree you get a remote control for changing the lights or turning them off comes in the box. With curious excitement about how long it would take her to figure out I was messing with her, I sat on the couch and changed the light channels on the tree. I turned them on and off, flashed and changed their colors and then on and off over and over, all the while Christy assured me something was completely wrong with our new tree. It was mean, but it was just one of those simple things that made me so happy. 
Once we got the trees all together and hung the ornaments I became Clark Grizzwald. I had the ladder out of the garage and lights all over the place. I was hammering nails and stringing wires all over the place. I know I'm not going to win any awards, but looking out the outside of my house tonight I am beaming with pride over my accomplishments. Christmas is always a good time of the year for me an my family. I don't know what it is that makes me so happy about looking at all the decorations, but I'm sure love em. I mean, probably enough to keep everything up until at least mid January, either that or my laziness will put off taking them down.

Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment