Monday, April 7, 2008

20 Questions!

Thanks to everyone for all the great questions. Its been a lot of fun reading everything people care about. Creative comments are great to check out. So I'm gonna answer 20 of the questions. Some of them were picked by my mom and some were picked by my fiance (Christy). I had picked most of them. Thanks again!

1. If there was a "Name That Tune" game, would you rather be on that than "Deal or No Deal"? I think there really is some kind of Name That Tune game, and I think I would be awesome at it. I know that I am the champion of Name That Tune. (At least in my own car,when I control the radio). Deal or No deal would be really hard to pass up. How could I not be excited about all the case girls.

2. Last year I explained how Rocky McIntosh would be a beast. Who do I think will have a break out season for the Redskins? Of course being around the team year round I see a lot of things that no one else does. Down to the details of who works the hardest in the weight room. That said, it can still be a guess to who has a breakout year. Laron Landry will have a great season for us in his second year, but I think everyone expects that. The player that will surprise a lot of people is Reed Doughty. He is extremely smart as well as a very hard working player.

3. If I wasn't playing in the NFL what sport would I play or what profession would I choose?
Given a choice of sport, baseball would be so much fun. Plus baseball players laugh at some of our salaries, and everything they make is guaranteed. Realistically I would have finished college with an art education degree. I always thought being a high school art teacher would be really cool. I wanted to be a coach as well. I love all sports and will always be around them.

4. What is my favorite comedy film of all time?
Tommy Boy or Dumb and Dumber. Both Classics. I also could watch Caddy Shack 1000 times. None of them ever get old.

5. How much do you hate playing at FedEx. Could you convince "the Danny" to build a new stadium on the old RFK site? I actually love playing at FedEx. In my four years in the NFL, know that it is in the top three stadiums I've been in as far as atmosphere and excitement. As far as Dan Snyder, I don't think my input means much. I have heard rumors about a new stadium in the next ten years with a retractable roof. (RUMORS) It would have been awesome to play in RFK. Guess I just can't make the comparison.

6. There were a couple of questions about the rookies and pranks, so I'll give you a couple things that made me laugh. My favorite prank actually happened my rookie year. The older guys taped a guy up and rubbed Icy Hot all over his body and put him in the ice tub. The ice tub is really cold, but i can't imagine it with Icy Hot all over my body. It's pretty common to make a rookie buy dinner for all the guys. (Average bill ranges from 2 to 6 thousand) Breakfast sandwiches every Friday is popular. In college we used to catch fish in put them in lockers. All the lockers have a bottom holder for shoes that is covered by a bench. The bench will lift up and down to cover the bottom part. For my favorite all time prank we lined the bottom box with garbage bags and filled it full of water. Me and a couple guys caught about 10 carp and managed to keep them all alive, creating the "locker room fish tank". It has to be in the top five most original pranks of all time.

7. Who would win in a tag team match between Chris and Christy and Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson? The tag team match would start off with Christy and Jessica in the ring. Someone would come out of the stands with a cooler of beer and a couple of stools for Tony and I. We would proceed to sit ringside and high-five while clothes were furiously ripped off. In my world the match would end in Jes tapping out to a vicious choke hold, and I wouldn't be surprised if Christy dropped an elbow on her before she poured beer all over herself to celebrate.

8. How much do I throw myself the ball in a Madden game and do I get ridiculous yards. As well as what do I think is my greatest achievement so far? In an average game of Madden when I play with the Redskins Chris Cooley will have 10 to 15 catches and always over 100 yards. If a tight end can ever win the MVP it's Chris Cooley at the end of my season. When I'm playing I always refer to myself as Chris Cooley. Sounds dumb, but it makes it fun. As far as a greatest achievement, I would have to say the Pro Bowl. That was a huge honor for me. To be selected as the best in their sport is what any athlete would hope for.

9. How would I describe "Cache Valley" (this is where I went to high school as well as college) to someone who has never been there? Think of the movie "Napoleon Dynamite". Yes, that's pretty much what it was like. Cache Vally was a really fun place if you could find some outdoor activities. Skiing was big. I love to fly fish. Bridge jumping was always a good choice, but we really had a pretty fun time. Think zero nightlife. Zero!

10. What advice would I give to someone younger than me to find happiness? I try to never worry what people think about me. I kind of do whatever I want to do. Of course there are boundaries, but I try to stay away from anything or anyone that won't make me happy. Let all the little things go cause most don't really matter.

11. Favorite Drink? (Beer, wine, or liquor) Favorite drink definitely depends on the situation. I love almost all kinds of beer. If I was just gonna pick, it would be Bud Light. Christy and I drink wine at dinner most nights, and I love it. Red rather than white. My first couple years in DC people would always want to buy me drinks, and I would try to be cool and always ordered Jack Daniels. No more of that! I pretty much stick with beer.

12. What made me dress up as Johnny White Guy? Clinton had been dressing up as all his characters all season and finally toward the end of the year he asked some of us to be in the skit. He had all the old costumes in his locker, and we pretty much put on whatever we wanted. I tried to look as stupid as possible and was successful. As far as the name, Clinton said we could be whoever we wanted and since I was the only white guy in the group I chose "Johnny White Guy". Very fitting.

13. How short are your shorts going to be at training camp this season? If anyone remembers the old "Bike" coaching shorts from the 70's and 80's, I got a couple pairs from our equipment manager. They're actually really comfortable. They have an elastic waist and are made of some kind of material that doesn't get too wet when I get all sweaty during training camp. Plus I hate it when shorts come over my knees when I'm working out. I don't know why I'm always different, I'm not really trying to be, but I usually am. Weird.

14. Among retired players who is my favorite redskin? Is there any part of my game I would like to improve? Christy is really trying to say Darrell Green. She loves 28. I really don't have a favorite, but I've gotten pretty close to a lot of the guys from the 80's. That would have been so cool to have been a part of that team. I really think I would have fit in with those guys. I would have been all over beers after practice.

15. Are you offended or honored that I named my dog after you? Seems like tons of people are naming their dog after me. I think its awesome. I wanted to name my new dog Boscetti, but Christy threw in the veto. We named it Dale Earnhardt Jr. I tried to call him by his full name but it only lasted for a week. I'm disappointed in myself for that.

16. How hard is it to juggle my relationship and my professional career? I've been really lucky because Christy is a huge football fan. It's been great because we have so much in common. I think one of the coolest things about our relationship is we like to do everything together. It's not ever like one of us hates being a part of something we're doing. It gets hard for me when we go places and people will pretend like Christy is invisible to get autographs or pictures. Most people are really cool to us though.

17. If I could eat only one meal for a year what would it be? Filet Mignon. I guess I would throw in a potato and maybe some asparagus.

18. Who among my team mates has the most grotesque figure? Fabini. I mean "Furbini". I think he looks like Edgar from Men in Black after the alien stole his body. Like when he was asking for water. Fabini is in an Edgar suit or something. Haha. Sorry Fabs.

19. Is there anything that we as a team did before or after a game to honor Sean Taylor? Honestly there isn't anything we really did special or I guess as a tradition. Sean was a great friend and team mate to everyone on the Skins. I think he was in everyone's thoughts all the time, and I know so many of us were playing for Sean. We will all miss him so much. It's been hard for me because it's hard to believe I won't see him again. It just seems like I will.

20. Any chance I will be supporting DC United this season? I actually just started following our team. I randomly played golf at Raspberry Falls a couple months ago with Jaime Moreno. He was awesome, so I gotta start watching soccer.

Facebook Comments

24 comments:

Chris thanks for answering the questions. My guess would be that the short shorts were some early form of polyester/cotton.

My grandfather ran a sporting goods store and used to try and convince me to wear short shorts playing basket ball when I was in 11, you and I are close to the same age so you can imagine my hesitation to not wanting to get my @$$ kicked.

Dude, I totally whiffed on guessing who the grossest guy was with Rabach. I guess I just figure I hear a lot from Larry Michael about weird, disgusting crap that he does outside of the Redskins Radio window. The Jason "The Edgar Suit" Fabini thing is believable though, hahaha. I hope he's got a good sense of humor for that one.

Great job on the answers.

Bike shorts, eh? All I can ever think of when someone says Bike shorts is the coaches from Dazed and Confused: "...sittin' by the pool, chasin' the muff around."

I played rugby in high school and a little in college. Need some short shorts? Start there.

Chris,

Caddyshack is simply a classic! The truest of all golf movies! Still waiting on that tee time to go play! HA!

Chris thanks for answering my question about "Johnny White Guy"...that's just too funny. Great job at answering all of the questions too.

I'm glad to see you and Christy enjoy your time together and that she's a huge football fan.

Hey, 47, late question: Can we get you to sponsor the Cave of Chaos (the seats behind the pillars at FedEx) next season? I've been trying to get the name to catch at ExtremeSkins, but so far only "Cave" has picked up.

Fwiw, here's your rss link:
http://chriscooley47.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss

Didn't see it on the front page. Now geeks at reader.google.com can watch what you post more easily. Whoopdee damn doo, right?

Thanks for the inside info. Scary-arse picture of Dilfer. Not sure I needed to see that today.

Dude, this was funny, a great read! Thanks for answering questions, you're a champ!!

The Edgar Suit thing is hilarious. I'd watch out for Icy Hot in your underwear if I were you... You know, keep your eyes peeled for Vigilantes.

Chris --
Love the blog. It's nice to get a more intimate sense of what you're like. (Not that you're leaving much to the imagination in those shorts.)

Chris:

How do you leave out 'Wedding Crashers' & 'Old School'? I will let you off the hook this time. Good luck this season and wish you the best of health. Cheers!

Haha, I hear you on the short shorts. Some of my weight lifting buds give me hell for it, but they're so much easier to move around in.

Great Q&A to read, glad that I found the blog. But man, I have one question for you.. BUD LIGHT? Nasty, haha. Visit your local Total Wine and ask for some suggestions!

Is anyone having a problem with posting comments?

FURbini. Haha.

We've all had our J.D. days, Chris. They are generally the worst of times... at least the ones I can remember.

I promise that your fiance won't feel invisible when I ask for your autpgraph.
Great blog.

Great work on the blog dude, exactly the kinda thing fans love hearing about to distract us from the lack of football.
late question: are you a big Nats fan? they're sucking right now but the new stadium is bitchin and we have a lot more promise this year. I seem to remember you in a nats hat one time, you should get some skins to come out to a few games, might boost the attendance.
go DC sports! how bout them Caps?

"I promise that your fiance won't feel invisible when I ask for your autpgraph"....thats weird. Watch out for that guy...resistance does it for me

Mr. Cooley - You are a nutjob! (stated with the utmost respect and genuine appreciaition!) Your sense of humor cracks me up! Please keep up the blog. It is great to have a glimpse of the genuine and authentic person sporting #47 for the 'skins. It enriches the sport and our role as fans. I really appreciate your reaching out to us fans thru this medium. I look forward to great things from your on-field efforts this season and in seasons to come. Also look forward to reading about your continued off-field efforts in community outreach.

You're the best, dude!

PS: If you like Bud Light, knock down a few Dos XX Lager (green bottle - not the brown bottle Amber). A great beer for spring and summer - especially served ice cold.

Chris,

You haven't had a real Bud Light until you have had an ice cold ten ounce in the can. It is all we drink down here in St. Mary's County, especially after softball games.

Koz down south

Nice stats on your agent's site. Better picture.

http://www.protectmanagement.com/ssp/clients?bio=11
Chris Cooley
Height 0' 0"
Weight 0 lbs.
Born 00/00/0000

wow! thats so awesome thanks for taking time out of your day to answer these! Cant wait for football season to get underway again! :)

Chris-
What happened in Seattle...that pass in the second half after the Mix fumble recovery, I think it was third down and it looked tough but catchable...you were inside the Seattle 5 yard line....please comment on that play and the Seattle game in general.

Thanks and luv ya man. Steve

Great stuff. The Christy/Simpson anwers and Madden stuff was the best. Maybe I can trade you the QB I created after myself because NFL Adam loves throwing to his tight end.

(Hey refering to yourself in the third person IS fun.)

I married a Giants fan (BOO I KNOW) so he wouldn't go for naming our new puppy Cooley- so I named my fish Cooley instead. He calls him Shockey. Its a neverending battle in the household!

Oh my goodness... number 18 is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time! Ha! An Edgar suit! That movie is classic and your quote is as well. :)

By the way Chris, I met you and Christy at a PS Game Gear autograph signing a while back and I think she is fabulous. She seems very sweet and was so excited about the wedding. We talked for a bit about growing up in the area and such. I can tell she's crazy about you and I wish you both nothing but the best in the future. Hey, I hope to see you guys again soon at the store! :)

Post a Comment